The painting started with the three water fowl in large circles across the canvas, but once drawn in, looked like animals trapped in a sideways traffic light. Then, it morphed into the general layout you see above, except with one duck sitting and the other standing on one leg. They both looked off balance. I added two legs for each duck – and then spent a very long time mulling over what to do with all that extra background space. I could cut the canvas down and put it on smaller stretcher bars (but I already had the perfect frame), or add something else to the composition.
I looked at this painting almost daily. I sought advice from artist friends. I considered adding a swimming pool behind the ducks, swirling musical notes for the “dancing” ducks, and confetti for more color. After three months, I gave in to my standby solution – polka dots. I am happy with the painting now, but it’s still not quite what I thought it would be; this fun idea for a painting took several detours on the journey to completion and racked up a lot of studio time. Thank goodness, I already have a title!